Friday, March 28, 2008

Adventures in Haircutting!

When my daughter was a baby, she was bald. When she was two, she was still bald. This used to upset me beyond belief as I encountered person upon person who would look at my beautiful daughter, dressed head to toe in pink and ask "How old is your little boy?" Are you freaking kidding me?!? Ok, fine, she's bald. I can get past this.

Thankfully at the age of almost 6, she is no longer bald. In fact over the last few years she has grown a lot of hair and, just as I do with my own hair, when it reaches a certain length I decide it must be culled. After all, who really needs all that hair right?

(A before shot)



Last week was one of these instances. After what seemed like the millionth time fighting with Ash to brush her hair and not have her scream blue murder as I hit tangle after tangle, I pronounced it hair cutting time. This was met with a mixture of crocodile tears, door slamming, huge sighs and finally sulky resignation - and we headed off to the salon.

Being a somewhat lower income family, I was not about to take her to a froo-froo salon where they would wash her hair with lilac smelling shampoo, condition it with eau-de-dove and fan her hair dry with palm fronds. No sir, not me. Off we went to the budget salon where you can get a shampoo, cut and blow dry for $10. Having been met at the desk by an unhappy looking woman who had likely been on her feet for all of 2 hours, Ash was planted firmly on her behind, head cranked back to get scrubbed. Shampoo done? Excellent, slap her on her backside in a chair and manhandle her head to facilitate a cut.

Now, I am sure that there are many children who cannot sit still in a hair dresser's chair for the love of all that is holy, but Ash is not one of these children. Because of this fact, I was positive that this cut would go smoothly and she would look lovely. The instructions given to the hairdresser - "Right now, her hair is between her shoulder blades. I'd like about 2 1/2 inches taken off so that it sits just on, or just past, her shoulders." Simple!

10 minutes later (yes, that should have been my first clue), she was pronounced done, "$9.40 please" and I was dumbfounded! How on earth could "just on or just past the shoulders" be misinterpreted so badly as to mean "just at her chin line". That's a whole extra 2 inches! As I quietly seethed inside, I paid the money and off we went.

By the time we got home, I was livid but not quite sure what to do. I'm sure it's incredibly hard to glue hair back on and while she may sit still for a hair cut, I was positive she would not for a glue job. Turns out that in the hurried chop, this cut was also very much angled to the right and very uneven.

Despite the protests of Hotty Hubby, and the voice of my mother in the back of my head (that's where I keep her), I seethed about this internally for the next two days before taking action. Then, in a fit of boldness I marched myself in there to tell the offending person how unhappy I was. Imagine my distress when she said "Oh, sorry" and turned and walked away.

Many of you don't know me personally but if you did, you would know that walking away from me when I'm unhappy about something is a sure fire way to get yourself swallowed into a firey ball of rage. Thankfully this is where the manager, sensing my wrath, stepped in to the rescue. She apologized profusely, personally fixed the cut and even glued the hair back on. Alright, she fixed it.

To be honest, I think the cut quite suits Ash and while it's not what I asked for, it is easy maintained and managed. But I can tell you this much, I won't be returning there.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!