Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A bittersweet day....

Dear Mrs. Shortt,

Ever since I found out I was going to be a mother, one of the biggest decisions I wrestled with was over that teeny tiny matter of education. For years, I vowed that I would homeschool because there couldn't possibly be a school or a teacher that could live up to my high, yet uninformed, ideals.

Then, a friend told me about Rogers and I began to rethink things. Quite the dilemma...a life of instructing the children myself and losing a great deal of hair from the stress, or handing them over to a school that had a great reputation and hoping for the best. For the sake of my sanity and the mortal well being of the kids, I chose the latter and registered Ash at the school. Meeting you at the New Parent night gave me another glimmer of hope that my baby girl might actually do ok on this journey.

Over the past year, I have seen Ash continue to grow in fantastic ways. To have her come running from her classroom with a huge cheesy grin on her face, looking as pleased as can be, saying "Guess what Mrs. Shortt taught us today!", gives me a great feeling inside.

To know that you have dedicated your life to teaching these most precious gifts that are our children is wonderful, but to know that you also have made time to love and teach each of them individually is especially great.

You have given my beautiful daughter a fantastic beginning to her school life. I still remember my first teacher and I have no doubt that 20 years from now, Ash will still be talking about "Mrs. Shorty Pants who lives on a farm".

Thank you for loving my daughter. Thank you for encouraging her extraordinary love of reading and showing her how to enjoy and excel at the rest of her academics while still taking the time to play.

Most of all, thank you for being such a wonderful person and amazing teacher that all of us parents love.

We'll miss seeing you every day next year. We may have to bribe the administrators to get CJ into your class when he's ready.

Best Wishes
M & C

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. Years (and years) after kindergarten, I was editing a county newspaper and, in some roundabout way, learned my kindergarten teacher was retiring. I wrote a column about her. A day later, in walks her brother, who I didn't realize lived in the town I was working in. He invited me to read my column at her retirement open house, and it was almost surreal to me!

    My youngest son just finished kindergarten, and I wish we could take his teacher with us to every grade. She set a tremendous bar for the rest of his time in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything important in life, we learned in kindergarten. Glad to hear Mrs. Shortt didn't short Ash on her eduction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently enrolled my daughter in Kindergarten at a charter school after debating for YEARS whether I could trust a school (ANY SCHOOL) to educate her the way I wanted.

    I have every hope that she will have a similar experience as your daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!