Friday, June 13, 2008

Girlfriends

After 11 days of no posting, you'd think I could likely do better than this, but this is what I was thinking about this morning.

The other night, I went to see Sex and the City with a very dear friend of mine. I had heard multiple reviews of it, and it seemed to me that what people were saying was that if you watched the show you'd love the movie. Otherwise you would find yourself wanting to dig your eyeballs out with a spoon polished in monkey piss.

Well here's the thing folks. I watched the show sporadically over the years that it was on, but was never the huge over zealous fan that many people were. I didn't freak out if I missed an episode, I never taped it, and if I didn't watch for an entire season it wasn't the end of the world. But even given all that, I loved this movie!!!!! So much so that I feel it deserves 5 exclamation points apparently.

Back in the day, when I thought I was above it all and knew everything at the ripe old age of 16, most of my friends were guys. I had gone through a few years in high school, where all girls seem to in their prime as far as bitchiness is concerned, having a good number of my friendships not work out the way I had hoped they would. But hindsight being what it is, I can now look back and realise that a good portion of these people are not ones I would want to associate with nowadays anyway.

The boys were just always easier to deal with in many ways. If there was a problem, they said what it was and then moved on. Us girls? Well, we could make things go on for an entire year if we wanted. That's just how girls worked. Let's torture each other and see who caves first. Thing was, I never went in for that. My mother told me recently that I always gave it one more try and then I'd walk away, rather than waste my time with something that wasn't going to go anywhere. It's something I've always done.

Over the years, my quest for great girlfriends has continued, and I have met some wonderful gals who have filled in parts of my life that I didn't know needed filling. We've laughed, we've cried, we've been there for each other. Some of these friendships are still thriving, others have gone by the wayside. Sometimes it's my fault, sometimes theirs, sometimes no ones.

I don't consider myself one who needs friends to be happy, but they are nice to have around. I am quite happy to sit and read a good book, but equally as happy to be asked out for drinks or dinner with the girls.

This brings me back to Sex and the City. A quote I often see plastered in funny places is this one from the show:

Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with


I don't know if I would agree with the quote entirely but I do agree that women have a very unique relationship with each other, especially once you find women that you really click with. And that is a relationship that is displayed in this series and now in the movie. Those four women are incredibly close, and there is one scene (stop reading if you haven't seen it) where sweet timid little Charlotte looks like she could rip the scalp of Mr Big and feed it to the crocodiles in the New York sewers. All because he hurt Carrie.

I have some fantastic girlfriends who have been there for many years, and hopefully for many years to come. I also have some newer ones that have become very dear to me, and it's a comforting feeling to have these girls in my life.

If you haven't yet seen Sex and the City, I suggest you do. You'll laugh, cry and get angry all in the space of 2 1/2 hours. So grab your girlfriends, and go have a night out. You won't regret it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!