Monday, July 28, 2008

18 years comes to fruition today

The summer that I was 11 years old, we were living in Wiltshire, England. That same summer, I was sent away. I was to go and stay with my step-grandparents in Plymouth. I wasn't entirely sure how long I would be there, but I knew I had to go. See, my mother was pregnant and was due any day. So off I went for a time, until one day we got the call. A screaming, pooping bundle of middle of the night torture for the rest of my life beautiful baby girl had been born.

That girl, that bundle of joy now so often referred to by everyone, was named Hannah Kathleen. She....is my sister.

From the very beginning the child worked her way into my heart in the best ways. Although she was bald for a very long time, she somehow managed to be one of the cutest kids my 11 year old eyes had seen. Of course, now that I have my own children I think she has to rate third on the Cutest Kids Ever list, but I'm pretty sure she can deal with that.

Over the next few years, I became her biggest supporter and her biggest tormenter (umm...sisterly duty..duh). She followed me around, I pushed her away until I grew up enough to realise it was because she loved me and looked up to me. I was her babysitter (STILL unpaid by the way) and her defender against the evils of the world.

When I was 16 I went away to boarding school and had to leave her behind in Germany. Part of me wanted to rejoice at the thought of going away and not having to be the glorified babysitter anymore, but a bigger part of me knew I was going to miss the little rugrat. After two years of intermittent visiting in the school holidays, we all moved to New Zealand....where I promptly decided I was a big girl now and could live on my own. I could still see my baby sister though. Perhaps not so baby anymore. She was 8.

But at 21, when I decided to move back to Canada, I knew that I was making the biggest and most life altering decision of my life. Not big like "oooh I'm moving to a new country" or starting a new job, but big like "I'm leaving my little sister behind".

It's been 7 1/2 years since I left my 10 year old sister behind in New Zealand. In that span of time I've seen her only a few times.

Photobucket

I am incredibly grateful for the wonders of modern technology for allowing me to keep up with the happenings of my beautiful sister. In the last 7 1/2 years she had grown from a snotty little brat little kid into a smart, elegant, beautiful, witty, funny young woman.

This girl.......no.....this woman, excels at everything she sets her mind to. Homeschooled since she was 9, she had acheived high grades and honours. She went back to school this year in preparation for university and is just as much a keener a top student there as always.

Hannah is a phenomenal musician, playing a multitude of brass instruments in more than one band. She's got a great head on her shoulders and a good sense of self. I often tell her she gives teenagers a bad name because she does her homework, cleans up after herself, is responsible and and and and and....but truthfully? I think she's awesome.

She is proud of herself (I hope), her acheivements and her devotion to her religion. She wears her heart on her sleeve, and anyone who breaks that heart had better watch out, because big sister will come to hurt you...well I would if I wasn't thousands of miles away but the sentiment is there.

My name is Meg and I look up to my little sister. She is one of the best people to enter my life and I'll be forever grateful to have her as a sister.

Hannah turns 18 today. Happy Birthday little sister. You're beautiful and I love you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

  1. Awww Happy Birthday to the younger mad woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tribute! Happy bday young woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet...little sisters are wonderful to have. You never realize it when you are older, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tribute to your sister! She sounds like an amazing person. Happy birthday to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday little sister! What a wonderful gift to give her too Meg! Hope she reads your blog too and can see in black and white how much she means to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post! Happy Birthday to your sister, too!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!