Saturday, July 19, 2008

Are we going to play with our friends balls today??

I spent much of my youth in the UK and on British Air Force Bases in Germany. Needless to say, most of the tv we watched was British. Eastenders, Coronation Street, Blackadder...all sure to entertain the adults. But what about the kids? What did the little ones watch?

Obviously, there was the normal cartoon fare that we all grew up with, but the British also have a flare for adding a little something special to the tv listings. Nowadays there's the creepyover-inflated Teletubbies and Barney, both of whom would be better off as roadkill reel in the kidlets like a moth to a flame. But back then, there was Rainbow.

Like many of you, I have a soft spot in my heart for the dry British humour which they seem to be able to execute with the perfectly deadpan face. They are also pros at injecting the sexual innuendos and double entendres into everything they say and do. Apparently, when they weren't shooting the kids shows, they needed something to occupy their time so they shot episodes that, well, weren't altogether PG if you knew what their meaning was.

And so, without further ado (and to take the place of the witty post I had intended to write before extreme fatigue and writer's block struck me down like lightning to a tree, I bring the 18A version of Rainbow.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!