Wednesday, August 6, 2008

1, 2, 3, 4...tell me that you love me more

It's official folks. We are now the best parents ever according to the spawnlets. Why, you ask? Well let me tell you.....

Because we took the spawn (ages 4 and 6) to their first official adult concert. Ever. Because we rock. Because it seemed like fun. Because it was..well...it was free.

Yeah ok, I admit I'm a cheapskate but I'm a fun cheapskate so there.

This weekend was a long weekend here in B.C as we celebrated BC Day and more importantly the 150th anniversary of BC being...umm...BC? Clearly I need to brush up on my Canadian History but that's another topic altogether.

So, the Canadian government (such as it is) gave B.C. $6.6 million to put on these festivities all over the province and what we got here in Victoria was fantastical. The Snowbirds did a wee bit of a fly past, there was free entry to all sorts of touristy places all over the city and on Monday there was multiple free concerts.

We braved the masses and headed downtown, determined to find a parking spot even if it meant I had to pay a parking ticket or pay to get my car out of impound. After parking on the 7th floor of a parking garage, we threw the youngest in a stroller and dragged the whining 6 year old down the streets teeming with people who had a look in their eyes like they hadn't been out of the house in two years. You know...this look....


Photobucket

As we walked through the heat, down through the Inner Harbour towards the grounds of the Legislature Buildings, we could hear Sarah McLachlan singing away and she was rockin' it. We'd already managed to miss Colin James so we sped up. What we neglected in our hurry, because we're such fantastic parental figures, is to feed the spawn. So by the time 8pm rolled around they were starving.

Hotty Hubby left me and the spawn standing by the Legislature and off he went in search of nourishment. In his absence, the kids and I got to listen to Sarah croon away and then this kid by the name of Shawn Hlookoff hit the stage. I first heard of him back in November when Remembrance Day rolled around here in Canada and he had penned a song as a tribute to all our soldiers. Well, while the video below might not show it, the boy can certainly rock it. He's 23 but it certainly making his name known.




By the time Hotty Hubby made it back, he'd managed to miss Sarah and Shawn singing but at least he came bearing food. I think the kids might have chewed on him if he'd come empty handed. Did you know that for a mere $23 (!!) you can buy 4 hot dogs and 4 cans of pop from a food stand in Victoria?? I know. Bloody ridiculous. Yet, there's not much I can say after he'd gone all the way to the other side of town to get it all and missed most of the concerts.

So, we ditched the stroller by a tree and trekked into the crowd to see if we could find ANY green space that was within view of the stage and/or jumbotrons. Aha! There's a big space, let's go there! Sit children, eat...for the cool people will be on stage soon. As I stood up to stretch my legs (I'm old and can't sit in those positions for long), I noticed a "gentleman" and his wife behind me. He looked like he had a broom shoved firmly up his arse and I thought perhaps he might be related to the bank lady and if he wasn't his pursed looking wife certainly might be. Seems they had likely been sitting in their chairs all day, listening to the music and enjoying the atmosphere and had so far not had any ingrates dare to stand in front of them. Well, now the "big show" was getting geared up to start and we appeared.

Don't get me wrong, it pisses me off as much as the next person when some giant behemoth plants their ass (or head) in front of me or my children and blocks our view, but usually a politely worded "get the fuck out of the way" works wonders no?

I sat back down again, and watched more people fill in around us to watch the final concert. The next time I stood up again to stretch my legs, I felt someone standing right up against me!! I turned and it's the "gentleman" from behind us. Clearly he and his wife had voted in favour of intimidation vs politeness and so he was doing his best to scare me into sitting. This MAY have worked had I not been a good 3 inches taller than him. I glared, he sat back down. The distance between us by this time had grown to a good 15 feet thanks to us moving forward a few times as more space opened up.

By the time the last show was ready to start, ALL the space around us had been filled in with people. Standing people! And buddy with the broom filled arse was sitting there looking mightily pissed off. At least by this time I could honestly say it wasn't ME standing in front of him anymore.

Anyway....show starts...and I look down to see CJ laying on the grass at my feet. Asleep. Yeah.

So, Hotty Hubby, Ash and me rocked it out ......to FEIST!! Yeah baby. Free concert. Feist playing. Topped off a relatively awesome afternoon. My six year old, it turns out, is rather a Feist fan and would like me to get her the CD. Go figure. I knew my musical tastes varied widely but this girl takes the cake. Hannah Montana, Feist, System of a Down and Mozart. Uh huh.

We stayed til just before the last song and then made a break for it so as not to get stuck in the herd of cattle crowd. On our way out my snide, vindictive and..I'm not ashamed to admit...bitchy side rose to the surface and I looked broom guy straight in the eye (which was hard given the people now standing DIRECTLY in front of him) and said "I'm guessing we're the least of your worries now eh buddy?!". I was met with shocked spluttering from both him and his wife and it was a perfect finish to the evening.

And now, I bid you adieu and leave you with a little ditty from my daughter's new love. Feist.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. I totally LOVE me some Feist! My favorite song of theirs is Sealion Woman. I wish I could have gone.

    Why the hell would those people not just STAND UP? Did they really think they'd be the only people who were going to be at the concert? Sheesh. Don't you just want to smack some people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free Feist?! Frickin' cool! We get has beens come around for free, dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to bc150.gov. . .$6.6 million will be used to support activities commemorating the 150th anniversary of the founding of the colony of British Columbia that are taking place in the province during 2008. . .Now, you are up on your BC history!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mad Woman!!! Thanks for stopping by my place...and yes, I just finished reading "Breaking Dawn" last night. I read it in a day. And now I'm sad. I need to go find myself a vampire.
    So..........Sarah McLachlan live? LUCKY!
    Hope to see you around!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!