Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Speaking of lessons learned ....

As a follow up to MY educational weekend, I thought I'd share what a fantastic day the girl spawn had yesterday. All summer I had been procrastinating and yesterday when I realised that it was the day before school, I thought I'd better pull my thumb out of my ass and do something. So I did.

Shoe shopping with Ash, we took the route directly to Beelzebub's next door neighbour and went to Walmart. Yeah. So shoot me. We needed shoes for her for school but surprise surprise, when you leave it to the last day of summer vacation it's pretty slim pickings in the velcro department. So I told her that she'd have to learn how to tie her laces.

Well wouldn't ya know it? She learned in about 2 minutes flat!

Off we went to the park in the afternoon to let the kids ride their bikes. The hitch here was that Hotty Hubby had removed the training wheels from Ash's bike. Ah well. "You'll have to learn to ride a two wheeler honey, you're 6 now. You can do it."

Yeah. She learned in about 2 minutes flat!

Before dinner we headed to the store to pick up some last minute stuff. For once the kids behaved all the way around the store and it looked like we were going to get away clean. First time in shopping history.

Then.......it all flipped on its head. Ash had been playing with a twist tie and put it down on the conveyor belt at the till. The belt moved, she reached for twist tie, but it kept going. And so did her hand. Unfortunately I was at the other end of the grocery cart, and not close enough. Next think I know, she's screaming, the cashier is yelling AT HER to "MOVE your hand" and Ash was screaming "I can't".

I started yelling at the cashier to "SHUT IT OFF!!" and all the cashier could do was scream "I can't!! It's automatic". Yes dear, I realise it's automatic....unless there's something in front of the sensors. "PUT something in FRONT of the SENSORS!!!!!"

She finally had the sense to put one of those divider bars in front of the sensors and we got it stopped. Sadly by this time, Ash's thumb was stuck between the belt and metal at the end. I was having flashes of a little boy who'd had his hand eaten up in an escalator and hoping she wasn't that badly hurt. I didn't see any blood yet, but that didn't mean anything.

I pulled her hand out, no blood. Phew. Not broken. Phew times two. But swelling in a big way.

Out of nowhere these two staff members came running from other departments. The first aid people. They had ice and a first aid kit and an incident report form. They were fantastic. Ash was still screaming and people were starting to look freaked out. I finally got her calmed down and thankfully it looks like just some bruised muscle in her thumb.

HOLY CRAP! If there was ever a way to get the adrenalin going in the evening it's that.

And through it all her little brother just sang to himself and asked the cashier for a balloon. Haha.

I asked her if she knew now that her hands should NOT be up on the belt. Her answer was a resounding "YES mom!"

She learned in about 20 seconds flat!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

  1. Aww! Too bad she had to cap off such a banner day with getting hurt, but I'm glad she's ok. She's a quick, quick learner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's alot of good and not so good lessons to learn in one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That had to have been a freak out. I remember this lady who used to come in where I work, her little boy stuck his hands in her treadmill while she was using it and it burned all the skin off his hands. Scary. I'm glad she's OK. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather...yuck!

    oh and Meg? I tagged you on my website...had to be done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy and mind blowing day for your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you have enjoyed your shoe shopping with Ash.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!