Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Perspective

I had an entirely different post planned for today. An upbeat, news-filled, happy post that might even have made a few people laugh if they have the same warped sense of humour that I do.

Then I sat down. Then I switched on the tv. Then I did something that I would not normally be doing at 4 o'clock on a Tuesday afternoon. Then I watched Oprah. Yeah yeah, make all the jokes you want about it. Go on, get it out of your system. I'm not opposed to Oprah, I even quite enjoy her show most of the time. But today I knew she was doing a bit on kids that have featured on her show before or have "touched the hearts of millions". I could claim to have a heart of stone or an icy personality and use that as the reason for why I don't watch those episodes but I'd be lying. I could tell you I had no intention of watching because I have too much to do. I'd only be half lying. Truth is, I'm a sap. I big, giant sap. I cry at the drop of a hat when it comes to those shows. Happy or sad news, I cry. And so, even though I knew that most of today's show would be happy stuff, I planned to avoid it.

Then I got a phone call and I sat down. When I got off the phone, Oprah was on. So I watched a few minutes. Then a few minutes more. Well now I'm half way through the show and there's no point in missing the rest right? Besides, I'm not doing too bad...this is all good news and not a tear in sight.

Then she got me. Cow. She had me and she knew it. Sucked in again! Dammit! One of those stories that puts things in perpective for you. A story that makes you re-evaluate the way you look at the trials in your life. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

Since my son was born I have had many heart stopping moments. He has asthma and we've had many hospital trips to deal with the fact that he's not breathing properly. Again. It's scary. I've moaned and dripped and complained and wondered "why me?". We all do it. Both kids have fallen and cracked heads on concrete, I have lost each of them at least twice in large departments stores as they zip into racks of clothing and laugh quietly to themselves as mommy panics. And yet, despite all my whining about the things they put us through, I am (of course) happy to be their mother.

Just as happy, I'm sure, as this mother and father were to have their little boy. Watching the joy on the faces of these parents and yet knowing what they must have been going through, was amazing. But I was bawling like a baby the entire way through.

Watch the video. It'll warm your heart. As the father reads excerpts from the letters he wrote his son, and you see the pictures of that beautiful child, take a moment to think about your own life. Do you have perspective? Do you look at your problems as bigger than they are?

We all deal with issues. For some of us, like me, they are smaller. Sure, CJ has asthma but it's something that we can deal with. I can complain all I want but it's a manageable, small, problem. For others, like one or two I have posted about before, the issues are larger. Life threatening things that impact lives in huge ways that many of us can't even begin to imagine.

I'll likely always be dealing with the issues that surround the health of my children, but it does me good to get some perspective sometimes and remind myself that really I have it very lucky. There are so many others who are dealing with so much more than me.

Do me a favour. Send out some love to someone who is having a hard time right now. It doesn't have to be health issues. It could be a move that is hard on them and their family, it could be marital problems, it could be the health of a loved one. Anything. Send them some love. And watch the video.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

  1. Truth is, I can't watch anything with kids anymore...Makes me a total wreck. But I did watch that video...it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I virtually never watch Oprah anymore, but for whatever reason, I had it on today, and wasn't really paying attention, what with the kids coming home from school and various phone calls, etc.. Anyway, I started paying attention when they were telling Eliot's story, and sigh...I was a wreck. Instantly. I still feel drained. Totally made me pause and toss up a littl thanks for what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that, too. Very, very touching. And for the record, I rarely watch Oprah. I'm usually too busy reading blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how someone else's challeges put our own in perspective. Hug your kids and be thankful every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What amazing people. They could be bitter and angry and yet they chose to treasure the gift they had for such a short time...

    (I'm really glad I don't have any makeup on yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a moving video.
    I lost my sister to Edwards syndrome when she was two months old.She never made it home with us.Once I heard Edwards syndrome on the video I was a blubbering wreck yet the joy in this mans voice,on their faces was so soothing.What a courageous family.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!