Sunday, November 2, 2008

On the road...err...plane? again.

Awhile back, I mentioned that there was a potential move coming up for my family. A potentially BIG move. One that could be life changing for us, provide more opportunities in some areas, and perhaps less in others. A move that could see a lot of the emotional stress that we (I) have experienced in months past disappear.

Photobucket

That move is finally happening!

I grew up a military brat, so moving is nothing new to me. In fact, this is the longest I have stayed anywhere. 8 years in one city is a huge thing for me, and feels a little weird. To compensate for the weirdness (as if I could), and to drive Hotty Hubby a little bit nuts (easily done), we have lived in 7 different houses in those 8 years. And if I can't move house, I move furniture. He learned long ago to turn lights on when he entered the house at night if I was sounding like I needed to move again. There's nothing quite like walking into your own house and crashing into something that wasn't there 4 hours ago.

Photobucket

Well, now we'll be starting over again. We are busily selling everything we own and trying to find a home for the one wonderful pet we own.

We are heading to the "Land of the Long White Cloud". To Aotearoa. To the "youngest country on earth". We're moving.....to New Zealand.

11 years ago, when my mom and stepfather announced we were moving to NZ, I alternated between balking at the idea (dude, my friends were all in the UK) and being incredibly excited (hello?! NZ!!). I went with them, but three years later I decided that it wasn't that I wasn't making an effort, it was that NZ sucked ass. Hindsight being what it is, I can see now that I was wrong. Had I actually bothered putting in any effort and made friends, gotten a better job or even moved to a different town, things would have been different.

Photobucket

Instead, I moved back to Canada in 2001, and shortly thereafter I met Hotty Hubby and had kids. Now, we're heading back with our hopes high but not unrealistic. We realise that we're giving up some things to go. We also realise that it might take awhile to get on our feet. But we have support. Our friends and family here support us, and my mom and sister are there.

So there you have it! We're flying away. Going to the land of the reverse toilet flushing, the amazing All Blacks, and the super laid back attitude of the people. My kids will feel at home walking around barefoot most of the summer, my husband will feel at ease with the relaxed way that everyone is, and I am looking forward to just ..being.

Photobucket

Tell me about your moving stories, where have you moved to? What's the furthest you've gone either permanently or just to visit? Any international moving advice you can give someone like me who isn't shipping anything except our clothes and ourselves?

Photobucket

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

  1. So why are you moving?

    No joke, your word identification is "trickho".

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Although depending on the outcome here on Tuesday, I may be joining you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I have no advice on international moving as I've only been out to the US twice and at that not for 10 years. BUT good for you for doing it. And a great experience for your kids. And I assume those pics are from the new country? DAMN! That's gorgeous....
    Good luck...and I assume you'll still be posting form the other side of the world???

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, what you are saying is that I shouldn't complain about having just moved about 15 miles away?

    Okay, then. I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an adventure! I've only moved a couple of times, and always within 200 miles of my original location. I'm a relocation chicken, and therefore a bit envious of your gumption! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've moved halfway across the country, but never halfway across the world. Wow! Wishing a wonderful move and good things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!That is a huge move,good luck. I have also moved across the world, well not so much moved as running away from crap!

    My best advice is right your wrongs and make peace before you leave. Move with a light heart and no regrets.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!