Monday, December 22, 2008

What the hell is this white stuff?

8 years ago when I decided I was desperately unhappy in New Zealand and was going to run away to somewhere Utopian, I chose to return to Canada. This decision was made because I had family here, not to mention the requisite passport and citizenship (which I did not possess for a return to the UK).

Having made the decision to return to the mother ship, all I needed to do was pick a location. I have family spread all over Canada so I could have picked just about anywhere. I considered the Maritimes, where I could live in small town bliss with my Nova Scotian rellies. I pondered a return to the province housing my closest relatives on my mother's side, where I could live in Metropolitan HELL in Ontario. Both of these options were swiftly rejected because, well, they get snow. Lots of it. For long periods of time. And I am morally opposed to shovelling.

So, I moved to Victoria. My father lives here, and it's a rather mild climate. IF a snowfall happens, we get a maximum of 2 inches which melts within a week. (Whatever you do, don't ask any of the locals about the "Blizzard of 1996"...you'll never get away).

Because of this fact, when it began snowing the night of Saturday, December 13th, I didn't think much of it. I went to bed around 7pm for a few hours sleep before work. When I got up, there was a good 6 inches of snow on the ground, my road (which is on a steep incline) had turned into a solid sheet of ice, and my car was going nowhere. I called in and made the poor sucker already at the front desk pull a double. I had the next three days off so I wasn't concerned, and figured that true to Victorian history it would all be gone shortly.


Photobucket

Photobucket


Imagine then, my friends, when a week later the snow was not only still there, but more was falling. I spent the day this past Friday (the 19th) listening to warnings that there was a "significant snowfall warning issued for Greater Victoria" and that we would be well advised to stock up on groceries, candles, flashlights etc. Yet again, I didn't take it too seriously. I mean, I've lived here 8 years and have never had a problem. We went grocery shopping because we needed to anyway, and we got a new propane tank for our BBQ "just in case", but mostly because we needed one. And then we went to bed Saturday night watching the snow fall lightly.

HA!

HA HA!

HA HA HA HA!

Clearly I should have listened to the weather folks more closely. I had to get up at 6am to get to work. My car? Not going anywhere. I trudged my unfit, lazy ass out to a main road and stood there trying to call a cab for a half hour before I finally managed to flag one. I regretted that decision once I'd gotten to work and realised I had to shovel. Did I mention I'm morally opposed to that activity?

Folks, let me tell you. In years past, when we got our pre-determined 2 inches of snow, the city all but shuts down. There are maybe 3 snow plows and 2 salt trucks in all of Victoria. People end up trapped. Stranded. HELPLESS. It's ridiculous. So to have this much snow fall, is a tragedy. Some people are truly stranded this time.

My back yard currently has over a foot and a half of snow in it. The rest of the country is cheering that us Victorians are having to endure this. I can hear them gloating from here.

On the upside, we got to go sledding today. And Hotty Hubby and I have gotten a workout from all the shovelling we've done. I hadn't realised how hard it was to walk through so much snow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the upside? It all looks so beautiful out there! And the kids, they're loving it.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

  1. I promise I'm not gloating but..... welcome to my world! lol! We've already gotten so much snow its nuts! Hope you can enjoy it while you have it and it doesn't cause too many problems for you!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time there is a flake of snow in the air here in Iowa, people stop what they're doing and run (or skid) their way to the grocery store for milk and bread. That's what we did last Thursday when the weather warnings were flashing all day, telling us about snow and ice that was coming.

    I, sadly, look forward to having to deal with this stuff until March. Perhaps April. Seriously, I'm already tired of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that's alot of snow for a place that doesn't usually have it. But at least the kids have had fun.
    I live in Vermont, so it's wrong for me to complain about snow. Even the 3+ feet outside my door.
    I'd never gloat. Enjoy it and hope it melts soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we got hit by the same storm! Seattle is so not used to getting nearly two feet of snow, it a mess...pretty, but a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard a lot of places have gotten snow this year that previously don't ever get any. Weird. But we're used to icy weather here and assholes are out in it regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is nuts...and exactly the reason I will never live in Winnipeg again (fondly known as Winterpeg).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure you actually moved to Victoria? I mean, I haven't been there in years, but really, despite your very realistic and quite lovely pictures, I'm hardpressed to believe in Victorian snow or that weather people can and do predict accurately.
    Where I live in Southern California, we've had relentless frost. That's enough to keep me at home.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!