Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Remarkable Powers of Restraint

In the world of being a parent, there are few things that can affect me as much as something or someone hurting my children. Since the day they were born, thoughts of how to protect them and keep them safe have been foremost in my mind. With that said though, I have never been the type to overprotect them, preferring instead to give them the freedom they need to explore the world around them and how they fit into it. This was much easier before they started school. The emotional hurts were kept to a minimum and the physical hurts were mostly developmental. Any that couldn't be put down to development (or lack thereof) could be put down to parental laziness. Yeah that's right, we aren't always the most diligent of parents and things have happened. Girl Spawn has fallen backwards off of slide ladders and bus stop benches more times than I can count, down like a plank, and Boy Spawn continues to crack his head on something on a monthly basis....often because one or both of us has been deep into and incredibly important conversation and haven't noticed the child hurtling across the playground at breakneck (or head) speed.

While fixing the physical damage is relatively easy, albeit painful, the emotional hurts can often be harder to repair. As adults, we have the benefit of hindsight. I can, grudgingly, look back and realise that perhaps my mother was right about Vicki and her womanly wiles. Turns out Vicki was indeed a tramp. Who would have guessed just by looking at her in her low cut tops, mini skirts and 2 inch thick make up? I can see that I should have paid more attention in school and been nicer to some people along the way. I can also see how my actions and words had an impact on various people growing up. And as such, I can attempt to teach my children the value of thinking before they speak (something I still struggle with), and that bullying royally sucks.

Each of my kids has a strong personality (origins unknown) and honestly I was more worried about them being the bully, and less about them being on the receiving end.

Imagine my surprise then, when Girl Spawn informed me that a couple of the older girls in school had been "being mean" to her. Well, colour me stupid and stick a feather up my nose, but I thought when she said "being mean" that they just didn't want to play with her. After all, they are in Grade 4 and 5. Oh no, for these girls, not playing with her would be too simple. Instead they decided to step it up a bit.

Hotty Hubby is currently admiring my powers of self restraint for not tracking down the two little bitches and smacking their heads together before selling them to some slave driver in Kutmahbur, Nowhereland.

These gems of the female species decided that preventing a 6 year old from getting to a bathroom would be a laugh riot. I'll be the first to admit that if Hotty Hubby was unable to get to a bathroom and peed his pants, that I would be rolling on the floor. But when it's a 6 year old it's a little different.

They have called her fat (she's not), told her that her clothes look funny (I object), that her hair looks silly (it might have that day) and called her names. Most recently, they tracked her down at recess and made her give them her snack. To me, that's the equivalent of "gimme your milk money or die" from back in the day.

Much as I would love to drop the little cows off the nearest bridge or tar and feather them, I resorted instead to involving school staff. I swear I've spent more time in the principal's office as a parent than I ever did in school, and that's saying a lot. I was certainly NOT a model student.

It baffles me to this day why some children feel that they can treat others this way. These are the same children that grow up into the jackasses we work with. The parents of these little gems? "Oh, I don't know, my daughter would never do that. I think YOUR daughter must have made it up".

Lady, consider my restraint when I tell merely that you are a T-O-O-L and that your daughter did indeed do those things. Consider yourself lucky I haven't drop kicked you yet.

And to my daughter....when you're older and you read this, if you EVER treat anyone like the way these girls did you, I'll rip you a new one.


Now....I'm off to anger management :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

  1. oh that just breaks my heart :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you did show restraint. Sadly, those parents deserve a little taste of their daughters' medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww what meanies!! i hope they get in all the "trouble" they deserve. i was just thinking the other day about how when i have kids it will be so important to make sure they understand that they should be nice to EVERYONE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you for keeping your cool. Remember that no one is more of a bitch than Karma, and that she will get her revenge on those two twinks. I see a future for them as the next miscreants at Casa Crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very similar thing happened to me in first grade. There was a girl in fourth grade who chose me for some unknown reason, and not only did the type of things you've mentioned in your post, but went so far as to physically abuse me, smacked me in the face as hard as she could, and literally would kick me in the ass and legs. The principal and teachers had to keep her with them during recess to stop her, and even that had a minimal effect, she would search me out any chance she got. It took my mother getting in her face, spitting as she screamed at this girl that if she touched me again her ass was grass. I stood behind her and saw the look on the girl's face, true terror. Months of tortured vanished right there. I hope your daughter's bullies are more susceptible to teacher involvement, and you have to go there. Their mother's will never believe you. You can't let this keep happening to her, because I know what it did to me the rest of my years of school. Thank God she told you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are totally pathetic, after reading much of this blog I find you to be totally hypocritical and contradict yourself on so many occasions.

    Get a life and maybe you should spend more time with the people you claim you love so much. Instead of sitting on your a$$ posting on this pathetic blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my word!! This is elementary school right? I just skimmed the post
    but wanted to say poor A...!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. huh...that just sucks. I always wonder WHY kids think that behavior is ok, but more importatnly, where the heck did they learn it? What is happening at home for them?

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!