Saturday, July 18, 2009

Six

Six. It's just a number to most people. It comes after 5 and before seven. Sometimes it comes before nine as well, but it really depends on how you feel about being a top or a bottom and how good your partner is. It varies in our house.

Six was the character played by Tricia Helfer in Battlestar Gallactica. Hot and blonde, every guy I know lusted after her. Hell, *I* lusted after her.

Also the character from Blossom who was good friends with..well...Blossom. Or so I'm told. I don't know if I ever spent many hours of my early teenage years watching the show so I could lust after Joey Lawrence, so I really couldn't tell you.

A 6-pack...what every guy (and some women) aspire to in the hopes that they too can have the rock hard abs that seem to come so easily to the likes of Mario Lopez, Tyson Beckford, or one of the Chippendales (do they even have a career anymore?). Sadly, what many of these hard working, non couch potato (they swear!!) men end up with is something more along the lines of this:


It's the number of degrees of separation in that idiotic game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon that only seems to work with him. Have you ever tried to do it with another celeb? It's incredibly hard. Sure, I can do it with someone here in town and get it in about 4 tries but with anyone famous other than Kevin Bacon? Not possible. Or maybe I'm just dense. Who knows?

Henry Whore-bag the 8th had six wives.

It's the number of times I've yelled at my spawn already today and the number of times I've considered gouging out the eyes of the next person who asks if "we're all ready to go then?".

It's the number of books that I have ploughed through in the last 5 days and probably the same number that I'll manage to devour in the next five days.

I've sat here and wondered if six is the magic age when my previously easy going boy spawn will revert back to his old self or if I will have to wait until he is seven for the bitchy attitude and contrariness to subside. He rivals a teenage girl some days I swear.

I've had 6 wine spritzers today (so far...I'm still going), 6 trips to the bathroom (runs right through ya I swear!), 6 "stop and count to ten" moments as I get frustrated with the amount of crap I have to fit into eight suitcases without going over 50 pounds in any of them, and it's about the number of hours of sleep I managed to get last night.

But more than anything, six is scary. It's nerve wracking, it's overwhelming, it's....well....it's six.

Six days until we get on our plane and leave everything familiar behind us.

Six days until we have to start a new life, filled with the unknown and hope that it all works out for the best.

Six days in which we need to find the time to say goodbye to our families and our friends. Time that we know just isn't sufficient and wish we had more.

Six.

I feel woefully unprepared, incredibly scattered and very overwhelmed. I feel guilty for taking Hotty Hubby away from his family and friends, I feel guilty for leaving MY family just 8 years after returning to the mothership.

I feel sad that having made some amazing friends in the last 8 years, I am now leaving them all. I hold onto the hope that even though I will now be thousands of miles away, our friendships can remain strong. And I hope that they have all gone and bought webcams for our weekly Skype chats.

I am hopeful for the future of our family as we begin our new adventure in a new land and happy in the knowledge that our little family unit is strong and we can weather this as we have weathered other things before now.

I worry that the spawnlets will not settle or worse (and more likely), that Hotty Hubby won't. I worry that things will not live up to the way I have portrayed them or that MY expectations are too high.

But at the same time, I'm excited for what lies ahead. The unknown. The adventure. The opportunity.

While I know that these six days will feel like they have flown past, I also know that afterwards I will be able to look back and say "You know what I had? I had SIX. Six days." And that's all I need to tell all these people how much I'm going to miss them, how much I love them.

And I will. I do. I hope none of them will ever forget that...friends & family alike.

Six....it's not so scary when you get down to it.

*********************************************

PS - Six is also the number of guest posters I have lined up for the time when I'll be moving ... so far. You'll love it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

  1. Ok this post sort of freaks me out. How is it that we both wrote post about SIX on the same day? The devil made us do it. I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gotta be stressful, dealing with the move you've got ahead of you, but it will be over before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least you have 8 suitcases instead of 6! I'd be freaking out, too. Keep focusing on the adventure that lies ahead, take deep breaths and keep the spritzers handy. :) Once you see those beautiful NZ mountains appear over the horizon, you'll know it's all been worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend Scott at http://scottsabode.wordpress.com is doing the same as you. Except he and his partner are moving to England.
    (And the toilet water flushes the opposite way down here. When I took the kids to Thailand we tried it out.)

    I just re read that and realised that it sounded like the toilet water comes UP out of the toilet rather than away when you press flush. That's actually not the case, thank heavens. I meant clockwise and anticlockwise. If we were getting doused in out own toilet water every time we pushed 'flush' then we'd all be moving up to the northern hemisphere to escape it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I predict that in six weeks' time, you are going to be too busy and happy to think about the number six. You are going to be absolutely enjoying your newest adventure. It will be beautiful and your telling us about it, will make us want to rush right over to NZ.
    Hang in there! You're going to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, you're gonna do fine. You just wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And when I go to this there were six comments...how funny!
    YOu'll be great...it's an adventure and all part of a great life you are leading!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!