Wednesday, November 11, 2009

To Write Love On Her Arms

I came across this cause last year....but I was too late to participate. This year, I'm in. In like slim.


To Write Love On Her Arms (TWLOHA) is :

...a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide.


I have struggled with depression myself, and while I'm doing great right now, I know what it is to hit bottom. I know what it feels like to wonder if you're ever going to be able to climb up out of the depths and see just a sliver of light again. That intense feeling of loneliness can be overwhelming, and the question is always there in the front of your brain (no matter how hard you try to shove it to the back or do away with it altogether)... "Does anyone even care?"

And while I'm doing well now, and I know that people DO care, I am also fully aware that should I start taking on water and sinking into the abyss again, I will feel incredibly alone all over again. It's a horrible feeling that no one should ever have to experience and yet people all over the world go through these feelings on a daily basis. It brings you to the brink of desperation and some people have trouble clawing their way back from that. To be suicidal is a horrible feeling. To think that there is no one who cares, leaves you feeling empty.

TWLOHA was formed as a result of one of their friends who had been turned away from a treatment centre. They wanted to help. And help they did. Since then, they have helped many many others.

Ok, so maybe you're sitting there thinking "What the hell does this have to do with me?". It has EVERYTHING to do with you. Chances are, even if they're not open about it or it's not obvious, you know someone who suffers from depression. Or is addicted to something that they would give anything to kick, but don't feel that they have the energy or support to do so. You probably know someone who has attempted suicide......maybe even someone who, sadly, was successful. I promise you, there is someone in your life who is going through something and just wants to know that there is someone, anyone, out there who gives a shit about them.

So. This Friday the 13th of November, ignore the normal superstitions surrounding the day. Put aside your party planning for a day. This Friday, DO something.

"But WHAT?!", you say.

Well, for a start, you can write LOVE on your arms. Take a picture of it and if you're on Facebook, submit to the fan site and/or group .

Everytime someone sees that word "LOVE" written on your arms on Friday, explain to them why you've done it and what it means to you and so many other people out there in the world.

Buy a TWLOHA shirt...or just donate.

Most of my readers are in the US. That's great, that's where this awesome cause is based and that's where most of the work gets done. But you know what? I'm in New Zealand, and was in Canada. I have friends in the UK who are doing this. Because even if we don't donate the cash, we're still getting the word out there. People are still asking why we've written such a powerful word on our arms and we're still getting to explain it. THAT is important.

People NEED to understand that depression, addiction, suicide or self harm are NOT taboo subjects anymore. They are subjects that desperately need to be addressed and those people need help.

Will you join me on Friday the 13th? Will you write that most powerful word...LOVE....on your arms? Will you tell people why?

***UPDATE of Friday the 13th.....here's me, writing LOVE on my arm.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

  1. I'll do it! My good friend's ex just jumped in front of a train Saturday, so it's a cause I can truly buy into.

    Thanks for letting us know about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, my dear, are a shining example of all that is good about the Internet. Thanks for letting us know about it. A very powerful and inspiring way to do something for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Thank you so much for sharing, because you're right. We need to talk about this. We don't need to be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right. I'm sure everyone knows someone who suffers from depression or an addiction. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have been thinking about getting a love tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this--you're right, I think we ALL know someone who is currently dealing with depression or something like it. And most of it have dealt with it ourselves, at some level. The less taboo it is, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dammit! I'm afraid I'm a little bit late for the Friday 13th action! But I love the idea of a "Love Tattoo". It's a great reminder. I actually wear a love ring daily where a heart is hidden behind a pair of hands (it's complicated) to remind me, lest I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm new to this blogging lark. writing pretty much any old stuff that comes into mind right now. Feel I'm talking to my self, but it's very therapeutic. I'm menopausal, crazy, depressed and sometimes normal. Finding people like you is great for the mind and soul. I love your blog & outlook on life. Thank you

    ReplyDelete