Sunday, December 27, 2009

So? How was it?

Did you all have a fantabulous Chrismukahkwanzivus?? I'm sure there's other holidays out there that I'm forgetting but short of spending an hour looking them up and then creating a 100 letter word, that's about all you're getting. It was pretty low key here. Hot. Sunny. Beautiful. Laid back.

I went to the Christmas Eve service at church with my mom, stepdad and stepsister. Christmas morning I had to work. Yeah. Apparently old ladies still need showers even on holidays. Who knew? But I was home by 8:30 and we carried on with our morning. Stockings were opened and drooled over (because Santa saw fit to load 'em up with candy), and then we headed to the Christmas morning service, sans hubby, to sing some carols and let the kids share one of their gifts with the congregation. They loved it. Home again to open the rest of the gifts, because as their mother I reserve the right to drag out the morning as long as possible just to see them squirm and also because, as their mother, I reserve the right to temporarily cancel Christmas based on their sucky attitudes that would rival a gremlin at the best times. Call it what you will, but it totally worked. Their behaviour improved immensely for two minutes at a time.

By lunch time, we had all the gifts opened and there were big smiles in the Mad Woman household. Nannee and Poppa, separately, pulled off the two best gifts of 2009 with a trampoline for the backyard (as opposed to the bathroom, Mad Woman?) (bite me!) and a Wii, respectively. It was all I could do to get them to come down off the trampoline long enough to eat and then they were right back up there, bouncing until the sweat was dripping off them.

We had a lovely Christmas lunch over at my mom's house with nary a turkey in sight. The decision was made to avoid all hot stuff and we dined on cold ham, potato salad and coleslaw. It was perfect!! I'll admit I briefly missed the snow, the stuffing, the mashed potatoes and the turkey leg....but only briefly because after lunch we were able to flake out and let the kids play in the sun again.

It's a very different experience, this Christmas-in-the-Summer thing. Last year, we had a foot and a half of snow on the ground. This year I was melting. I have yet to decide which I prefer. I know that many of you are freezing your asses off and are likely shouting "Are you KIDDING me?!" at the computer right now, but I'm serious! On the one hand, it just doesn't feel like Christmas without at least a cold day. Snow is a bonus. A pain in the ass, need to shovel it out of the way, bonus. But on the other hand...SUN!!

I'll let you know next year which way I'm leaning.

So. How was your holiday?? Tell me all about it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

  1. We had a very lovely and laid back Christmas. It was 70 degrees until on Dec. 23, when the winds came ahowling, bringing 30 degree-temps and winds up to 35 MPH. But at least we had a cold Christmas (not a fan of the snow; *ponders, "Should I go Kiwi?"). Christmas Eve was a traditional Turkey and (hot) ham dinner with MeMe/Papa, my family, my sis' family, and Janie, our dear friend. We opened presents, the kids had a scavenger hunt, and we played Bingo. Christmas morning the kids woke me up at 7 AM and we had another round of gifts (from Santa) and then we celebrated with Red Velvet Pancakes topped with powdered sugar, vanilla bean ice cream, and red sugar sprinkles. Oh, yea Mommy was a superstar on Christmas Eve when I gave the Macs the BIG GIFT--3 pet rats to replace the 2 hammies who died in November. I was a hero.

    Here's to a happy and blessed 2010 from my family to yours. Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually do envy your sunny Christmas. My sister lives in Florida and while it's not quite summer, she was able to sit by the pool wearing shorts and flip flips the week of Christmas. I hate snow and I hate cold weather, regardless of holidays or whatever. I'm looking forward to the day I can finally convince my husband to move south.
    Christmas was pretty quiet around here. We take care of visiting relatives and friends before the big day, so we can enjoy it and relax and do what WE want instead of driving all over town. It was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had sun but it was cold here. I have two kids super glued to my sides and I am debating on going NRA and blowing out my brains. Other than that...not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a wonderful Christmas. Of course, all of our Christmases are warm here too. I wouldn't know what to do if it ever snowed. (Although the idea of it sounds fun!) You'll get used to the non-cold weather holidays. We hung out by the pool and had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No snow here, and not uber cold. I actually love it.

    You know what that trampoline is good for, right? Exercise woman!!! It's perfect. Nothing like jiggling the crap out of your boobs to burn calories!!! Jan 2 is fast approaching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm buried under a mound of Thomas the trains right now. Can I tell you about my holiday after I shake myself free??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got to see some of my awesome cousins....but I feel like tomorrow my holiday is beginning...as we are taking off with the kids for a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there! Stopping by from SITS! I have never had a warm Christmas (Michigan and Chicago are definitely cold in December!) but I can understand what you say about missing the snow, I think I would too.

    Have an Extraordinary Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A trampoline and a Wii? When can I come over?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Xmas sounded way nicer than ours. The kids were miserable, fighting over toys the entire day and we were all sleep deprived and on edge. Not really different than every other day!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!