Thursday, January 14, 2010

Because this is more important...

I had a whole other post planned for today. It was a little bit funny, a little bit witty and whole lot of weird. But then a massive earthquake, measuring 7.0 on the scale, hit Haiti and the country is reeling. I'm sure you've heard about it. If you haven't, you've been living under a rock.

So, I decided to skip my meaningless post and talk about this instead. Don't worry, I won't take up too much of your time because I would far rather you were off doing something to help these people than sitting here reading my crap.


The devastation is incredible. The Presidential Palace has toppled. The death toll is rising. Bodies are having to be piled along the roadsides. Men, women and children are being pulled out from underneath the rubble every minute. Sadly, many of them are no longer living.

The question many of us have been asking is "But what can we do?". Well my friends, I'll tell you. You could find most of this information by doing a Google search, but it's a little overwhelming...so let me save you some time.

** The Huffington Post has a list of ways that you can help, places where you can donate and will continue updating about the events in Haiti. Their most recent update tells us the death toll is around 50,000 people. Click HERE to read the update and see a few of the ways you can help.

** The Pioneer Woman does giveaways all the time. Today she's doing a different kind of giveaway. Leave a comment on THIS POST and at the deadline, she'll do a draw from all the comments and give $500 to the relief effort charity of YOUR choice. Awesome right? But wait! There's more! She is also giving 10 cents PER comment to the relief efforts. It'll be split between the top 3 charities mentioned in the comments. If you consider that on a normal day, The Pioneer Woman averages around 10,000 comments (from what I've seen), that's a fair chunk of change. When I last checked, she was almost at 12,000 comments. So. Get on over there and leave a comment won't you?

** CNN has a list of way you can help, as well as a list of organizations that are providing support to this country in distress. Click HERE to check it out!

** Doctors Without Borders, who have been on the ground since before the earthquake, have a link on their front page to donate directly. Click HERE.

** The Salvation Army, with branches all over the world, has links on all their front pages for you to donate. Please search for your country if I haven't listed it below.

USA
Canada
New Zealand
Australia
UK

There are soooo many ways to help out. Even if you can't help financially, please check out some of these organizations and see if there is another way to help....collecting stuff for packages etc.

And failing all else? Spread the word. Think some positive thoughts or say a few prayers for these people. They need everything we can give them.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

  1. Great post and thanks for listing all of the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great resources. I'm definitely going to talk to my husband about making some sort of contribution.

    You have a big heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've written out my check for the Red Cross but I'm going to go leave a comment on the Pioneer Woman's blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post, Maggie! Thanks for all the info. You're a good woman, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting all the ways we can help. It's just a terrible situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing all these resources, and remembering what's really important. We should all spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to see that so many blogs are taking iniative to spread the word about such a large world tragedy! I donated to Red Cross yesterday - and every person that I ran into yesterday I told them how to donate $10 via their cellphone bill - so I got about another $200 in donations that we got just from that! We have to help them! Great post girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there! This is a great post--I'm just catching up on what I've missed on our trip. Thanks for all this great information! The amount of need there is staggering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for doing all this work and putting it in one place.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!