Monday, January 18, 2010

It's like the search for the Holy Grail. Only more humiliating. And less Knights that say "Ni!"

Having now had this here blog for two years (!!), I realise that I have not yet completed my quest for global domination humiliation. I have shared tales with you that should have made you run for the hills screaming "Please don't let anyone know I kinda sorta know her", but instead you pulled up a chair, made some popcorn and kicked back with a beer or six. This is all totally fine with me as long as you aren't leaving a mess. We had to give Cape Cod Gal a bib because she kept dripping ketchup off her corn dogs.

I realised today that it had been awhile since we'd done a "Hahahah look at her!" post and then I was over visiting Aunt Becky at Mommy Wants Vodka and she was all smacking us in the face with the gauntlet and issuing challenges like she hadn't a care in the world. She has challenged us interwebber folks to a duel. A duel!! I know. Except we don't get to play with swords or even shoot each other in the back. Nay! This is a duel of a different sort.

See, she got all brave 'n' stuff and posted a bunch of pics from back in the day. THEN she realised that she just put it all out there and we'd all be sitting there thinking that how glad we were it wasn't us. But she's a smart cookie that Aunt Becky. So she issued her duel, her challenge, her well worded double dog dare. And we all know that most of us can't walk away from that. Ok. I can't walk away from that. Whatever.

And so, I present to you.....my AWESOMENESS in picture form. Yeah that's right. I rocked the 80s and 90s.


Circa 1983 - 4 years old. Mouth open. I queried whether I was yelling at the camera and my father said "No....just practising to be a mother."


Circa April 1986 - The back of this picture was labelled "A new haircut, why so solemn?" SERIOUSLY people? I dunno. I'm told it's the "Dorothy Hamell" cut and that everyone had them. Don't I look lovely? And happy?


Really, where could I go from there? But Aunt Becky issued a challenge and a challenge I shall meet!

THIS? This is why people are scared of clowns!

1989. Ruffles and plaid and glasses, OH MY! And check out the spiffy hair peeps. Woo!

Oh. Emm. Gee! (said in a very tween voice). White socks and black shoes? Glasses that dwarf the face. "Singin' In the Rain" pose. Schmexy no?


Let's skip ahead a few years shall we? Circa 1993/1994...this was either my 14th or 15th birthday. I'm not sure why I look so very sullen...but I'm pretty sure that was a normal look for me around then.


Oooh! I found a happy one. First day of starting my new school. - 1995. A boarding school. A military boarding school. I learned how to use a sword there. That's about all I learned.


I actually did a post like this not long after I started this blog....you can check out some other time warp pictures HERE.

Now that we're all done playing with the Wayback Machine through Mad Woman's life, I hope that some other of you will take up Aunt Becky's challenge!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

32 comments:

  1. I must be psychic cause I already (unbenownst to me) entered this.

    See here:
    http://meanderingmadmother.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-used-to-be-rock-chick-with-rock.html

    You had me in at the Monty Python quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't possibly out myself through the shame of finding all those old pics... but I enjoyed giggling at yours ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaahhhaaaaaaahhhaaaaa....ok I'll stop now.

    Haaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaahhahahahhahhahahahahah ok I'm good.

    Sorry.

    Oh thank you, thank you for that. I so needed this this morning. I'm laughing with you...not at you luv.

    I too had the whole "glasses that cover your cheeks" look back in the 80's. AND the crimped hair. Though I never had the boarding school uniform...damn.

    But I had the bowl cut, do you remember bowl cuts? I'm thinking I like the Dorothy Hamell look more.

    Damn you were one sullen child Mad Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am lovin' that Dorothy Hamill! I had one, back in the 70's in 5th grade. And yea, that Clown costume? Freakin' scary, freakin' scary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little bob wedge thingamahairdo was...nice. ;)

    omg, your birthday photo was so emo before emo was even around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pulled out high school photos this week and posted on my FB account. Most of my high school classmates are on there now & it was fun to go back and see everyone as they were.

    I have to say though, you were a pretty straight faced girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Not in your life! No pictures of me will ever see the like of day. But I love seeing everyone's. I think I had the same dress and haircut (Dorothy Hamil).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post---because I have indeed posted awkward older photos of myself on my blog before. So I'm so glad I'm not alone, and thanks for sharing!

    p.s. THanks for coming over to my blog the other day! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god are you a young 'un! I'm not sure where I would go to find old pics of myself and it would surely involve a scanner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That clown picture scared the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh WOOOOOOW! You are fantastic! And I am loving seeing all of these throwback pics all over the interwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That clown picture will be the reason why I won't sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your hair cut in the last one. I really need to go to my parents house and find my old pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh.My.Goodness. LOVE it. Every one of them. Thanks for the chuckles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You. are. so. brave!

    I have many similar pics, haircuts and glasses the same. Only you look way better than I did. Well, my pics are in the garage anyway and it snows a really lot here. Can't get to them. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL, just practicin to be like mother.. that has to be one of the best dad quotes of all time

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the 'singin' in the rain' pic the bestest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd say you definitely rose to the challenge in style!!!! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAHAHAHA - my fave is the singing in the rain one! HAWT! haha - great post

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mom had glasses like that in the 80's. And if it makes you feel any better, I actually begged to get a Dorothy Hamill cut. But my hilljack beautician kept messing it up and I ended up looking like a softball player.

    ReplyDelete
  21. And by softball player, I mean lesbian.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1) Great idea for a post.

    2) Brave to show pictures of the past. I am uh-mazed at some of my fashion and hair choice.

    3) I don't want to show JUST how skinny I used to be. Sigh.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are so cute!! If I had a scanner I would do that too...great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You were one sexy lady! LOL! Man, you're so brave to put up old photos. I'm afraid no one would ever come back to my blog, lol.

    By the way, I've decided to make my blog private. If you'd like to be added as a reader, I'd love to have you! You can email me at brentsgirl2008@gmail.com. I'll send you the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovin' the Singin' in the Rain shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. "Brave, brave, Sir Robin..."

    And brave Lady Maggie, too! :) These are great!

    I will remain a sniveling coward and keep my childhood photos where they belong - in a photo album in the dark recesses of my closet.
    Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVED the pictures! What a cutie you were/are!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I left something for you over at my blog :) Happy Wednesday

    http://afhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awwww, what a cutie! Takes guts to post pics like this so good for you! I couldn't do it. All my pics were of my awkward stage...which is still ongoing 40 years later. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh my gawwwwd, i loved these!!! i, too, rocked the private school girl's outfits...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hah, I love it, you're such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!