Friday, February 5, 2010

Calling it a shovel

If you are someone who has the distinct misfortune to know me in person, you will likely know that I tend to be fairly blunt. I tell it how I see it. If I have something to say to you, I'll say it. If I haven't said it to you but someone else has told you I said it, then that means I was venting to them and then decided it wasn't important enough to discuss with you ... not that I was gossiping. I'll own my words. Always have, always will. I'm a straight shooter and sometimes that bites me in the ass but, in the eloquent and sexified words of the amazing Kurt Cobain, "I'd rather be loved for who I am than hated for who I'm not".

Want to go shopping? Take me with you.

Yes that shirt looks amazing. No that skirt would only look good on a 6 year old. No honey, those pants don't make your ass look fat...your humongous ASS makes your ass look fat.

If you're having doubts about your boyfriend, chances are you do NOT want to talk me about him because if you're having doubts then I've already got his method of demise picked out along with a snarky epitaph for his headstone in the woods.

When I started this blog, I did it with the idea of having somewhere to pour out my random thoughts that mostly occurred to me in the middle of the night while I was working at the No Tell Motel. That was almost two years ago. Obviously I am no longer in the same job let alone the same country. My thoughts, opinions and ideas have evolved. My readership has increased (thank you all...you make the attention whore in me VERY happy) and my blogroll has increased. But through it all, one thing has stuck with me.

OWN YOUR WORDS

If I write something on here, I am fully prepared to stand behind it. I've been informed a few times by email that people will not be returning to read my stuff because they "don't care for the language used" or find me "too coarse and crude". That's totally fine, I'm not to everyone's taste and I really don't care.

So take a moment, if you will, to imagine my surprise when I received a comment this morning telling me to come on over to this other blog because there was "an *ahem* unusual award" waiting for me. Of course I immediately went skipping off over there because, well, wouldn't you?! And this is what I found waiting for me:


Holy Shit Bubbles! Ain't it purty?!

The schmexy Madmother over at Meaninless Meandering from a Madmother decided I was blunt enough to "call a spade a fucking shovel" and bestowed this upon me. For which I scream a Squeee filled THANK YOU!!

Here's the "rules" of the award, copied & pasted directly from her because I cannot possibly paraphrase in a way that would even bring justice to it:

This award is for the straight-shooters. The "tell it to someone who gives a fuck" bloggers who don't let the ignorant minority dictate to them. As a certain commenter from my last post put it (and something a dear friend called me a few years back) the ones who call a spade a fucking shovel!

The receivers of the award (and I hesitiate to use the word winners as it is not some type of lame-arsed competition, it is merely a show of appreciation for the blogger who doesn't pretty up the harsh realities) do NOT have to pass it on! If you wish to, great! Means I get to find some new no-bullshit blogs. If not, meh, not my problem.

This is not to be passed on to anyone who cannot handle the heat. You know, the bloggers who post one controversial topic, get blasted, and so delete it whilst whining "youse are all bitches" under their breath. If you write it, own it! Note: exception to this rule is if you post something in anger which hurts those you love. Not anonymous, faceless bloggers or followers, but someone you genuinely care for, and realise later when you have calmed that it was not acceptable to blog about. We have all done this at one time or another.

This award is not to be awarded for just being nasty! It is for those blunt, honest, sometimes brutal bloggers who post from passion, not spite.

Link me (Madmother)! After all I am an attention seeking bitch according to some...


And so, because I CHOOSE to pass it on, I'd like to bestow this beauty upon a few people who I think are blunt like a sledge hammer.


Adreinzgirl @ Think Tank Momma
Dual Mom @ We're At Dad's That Week
Aunt Juicebox @ Bacon Is My Lover
Daffy @ Batcrap Crazy
Cape Cod Gal @ Diamond In The Rough
Kelley @ MagnetoBold Too!
Twenty Four @ Twenty Four At Heart

There are lots of others, but a lot of the people I read are also on other blog rolls so I left some for other folks. But like the rules say, you don't have to share if you don't want to.

Before I leave....what are YOUR personal rules for your blog? Do you stand behind the words you put down? Do you tell it like it is? Do you feel like never coming back here again?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

37 comments:

  1. I'm just like when I go shopping. I simply can't stand to lie to people when things don't look nice on them. My daughter loves and hates to go shopping with me because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I love it! You really get emails from people telling you that stuff??? I never get emails like that. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwahaha - I knew it was perfect for you! And please, if you head Queensland way sometime, let's go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love almost all of those bloggers that you handed that award to...now i'm gonna go check out the other blogs that i don't currently follow so i can fall in love with them, too!

    p.s....i love the fact that you don't censor your blog. blogs that are censored are usually booooorrrring. keep up the good work and nasty words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh. I know and love the first four, so now I need to check the last three out.

    Great award!!

    The only rule I keep for myself on my blog is to write exactly as it is being said in my head and to only write something I myself would want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on that awesome award!

    As for my rules, I like to think that I'm a pretty straight shooter. I try not to flat out hurt anyone's feelings or be too mean (Except to my MIL) but I think I put it all out there. If I wanted to sugar coat and tell lies, I'd be writing a novel. (Tried it. Fiction writing is not in me. )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and that you're a straight shooter. I try to not censor myself, but find that I do, knowing that I have students who read my blog. And that has completely taken away a whole ton of posts that I'd like to write, 'cause my students can be a fucked up bunch. Before I had a student refer to one of my posts, I was much less censored, but I love my job and want to keep it.

    So...I'll live vicariously through you calling a spade a spade, 'kay?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate a person who tells it like it is. In Louisiana we used to say that people who spoke their minds as those who would tell you how the cow ate the cabbage. Not sure exactly how the hell that translates but it does. I started my blog in july but really didn't start it till about a month ago. Already had my first blog troll commenter and was shocked. Decided to keep the comment up vs delete it and let the community decide. I loved the candid dialogue and decided no rules for now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. I will be honest ... because, um, that's the whole point, right? I usually hate awards and memes. I can never keep up with them. This one, however? Is an honor. Truly it is! Thank you ...!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your award!!! You would be the one I would want to go shopping with me...always tell it like you want!! I love your blog!!

    I have to be careful what I say on my blog because of family..oh well

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the award... I was about to comment that I do the same and then I see that I didn't get it - Now I am crying at my desk and plotting my revenge ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome award! If you can't tell it like it is...it ain't worth tellin!

    I love a girl who speaks her mind!!!!

    But did that shirt really make me look fat?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's what I love about blogging...I can say whatever and say it however I want to say it. If people don't like it, don't follow or don't read. Just don't get your panties in a wad, your knickers in a twist.

    Congrats, but that is SOOOOO creepy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That has to be the, uh, oddest looking award, I've ever seen. But it is well deserved by you and that's a good thing. I admire women like you. I am not one of them...I am not quite that brave. But I come back here so you'll say amazing and shocking and honest things...always...

    ReplyDelete
  15. CONGRATS on your kick-ass award! It's fabulous! ANd you passed it onto some great peeps (and some new ones I'll have to check out). Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a pretty picture. In fact, I have a photo of me that looks just like it.

    People need to hear me, so of course I don't censor. I don't even know what that means.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at "too coarse and crude"

    Why the hell haven't I been following you? (that's not rhetorical...feel free to answer it).

    As I recently told Aunt Juicebox...please just tattoo the word FUCKTARD on my forehead and we'll call it a day...

    Thank you. I'm now clicking that follow button over there...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I say the same thing, I only post what I mean and stand by it!

    I don't really have rules I just go with what I feel like for that day .. LOL :)

    I of course will be coming back. We're going to work together on loosing weight :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good for you, well deserved and so appropriate... everyone should say and blog only what they think... be a straight shooter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You picked some of the BEST bloggers to receive this AWESOME award.

    My blog is "MY" blog - "MY" space.
    I don't pick on family because they read it (wish to hell they didn't!) otherwise the rest is all up for grabs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The best blog award I ever got was the Fuck the Bloggies Award I gave myself last year. I was really hoping I'd get it again this year and so far, I've gotta say, my chances are looking pretty good.

    But this one? Pretty awesome too.

    I've never been over here before, but I'll be back. I like a straight shooter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fuck is my favourite word. My Dad told me I should stop swearing on my blog, so I told him to go fuck himself.

    Nice to "meet" you ;)

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree a "tell it like it is" attitude isn't to everyone's taste! I wish I was MORE like it! I'm a naturally sarcastic person but that side of me usually only comes out when I get to know someone (because i'm afraid to offend), you've just reminded me once again that I need to spend more time bringing out the real me in my blog - thanks for that! And as to whether or not i'll be back again - just try keeping me away ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Damn - I want that award just because of the picture and the "What the Fuck" thought you get when seeing it for the first time! Haha - great thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  25. If people don't like the language you use they have the prerogative to stop reading. Just like a book if you don't like the content you don't buy it. This does not mean that it should not be written.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ha! Congrats! That's perfect for you! I try to censor my blog a bit, since so many people in my family read it, including my 12 year old daughter. She probably hears me say worse stuff IRL, though. ;)

    I prefer blogs like yours. They make me laugh, and keep me entertained. How could anyone NOT want to come back???

    Ah, and you picked some great girls to pass that award on to! Some of my faves! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Guess what! You go from this "Say Like It Is" Award to....


    go to my blog post on 2/8 to see what I have for you. :) You so deserve it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love blunt people, so it's great to see you stand behind your words AND get a gruesome - albeit - bad ass award.

    Kudos to YOU!

    And yeah, I stand behind my words too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a fan of telling it like it is too. Unfortunately, too many friends know about my blog so I do tend to censor myself at times. Otherwise, they wouldn't be my friends anymore. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is why I love you, woman! For telling it like it is, no holds barred. So just try keeping my sorry ass away from here. As for me, I own my words, too, but tend to censor some topics because family and friends are dedicated lurkers. I don't need to get drawn into any more drama than already exists in that realm, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on your award--and for staying true to yourself. I try to stand by what I write but I'm horribly insecure (please don't tell anyone).

    ReplyDelete
  35. Why are you giving me this? I'm so docile, kind and gentle. I never ever speak my mind.

    Ok, you can stop laughing now.

    Seriously, Thank You, this is probably one of the bestest awards I've ever received ... and to receive it from you, well that's just the cat's meow.

    And congrats to all the other fine, tell it like it is ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  36. WTF is all this about family reading blogs??? That is totally absurd! Family shouldn't know that people speak the truth ... really Maggie, what were you thinking? LMAO!! I love your stuff, I love you and the spawn too, oh hell I even love Hotty Hubby. Don't know him too well but he was fun :) Keep being you Darlin, I've been brutally honest for years too. Hence being "the outcast" LOL!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love. This. Post! That's why I could never work for our local Chamber of Commerce. I cherish the option of telling people to go pound sand when I need to!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!