Tuesday, June 22, 2010

This may be why I prefer typing

A couple of weeks ago, my lovely friend Mumma Boo tagged me for this little project and I kept forgetting about it. Odd really, considering that I've been wondering what the heck I could write about. She had been tagged by someone else who had been tagged by Robin from The Not-Ever-Still Life for a Handwriting Project. I am finally getting around to it.

I love, love, LOVE getting handwritten notes. Just last week I found myself standing in my kitchen, tears running down my face, because I had received a handwritten letter from a very dear friend back in Canada. She could have told me all the same things in an email but it was SO much more special in a letter. Plus, it gave me some justification for checking my mailbox eleventy million times during the day. I swear most of my exercise comes from walking from my front door to my mailbox, over and over again.

My mother and father have had the same style of handwriting for as long as I can remember. Mum's is very easy to ready, almost printing with a little flair thrown in. Dad is full on cursive writing, but still easy to decipher.

My husband is left handed and, like most left handed people I've met, has atrocious handwriting. The one exception to this was one guy I went to school with who was not only left handed but had neater handwriting than any girl I'd met. My daughter is left handed and it still remains to be seen how her's will turn out. Boy Spawn is right handed (YAY!) but is only just coming up to 6, so I don't care.

Me? Well. Just like my fashion sense, my handwriting samples are a bit of an odd-ball collection. I have the stuff I use when I'm writing for the kids, the one I use when writing to the in-laws, the kind I use when I'm trying to look cool and then there's the professional job application type stuff. Oh. And my scrawl.

So Robin's idea was to have a look at the handwriting of all these people we read every day, but we only ever get to see their stuff in Times, Arial or, heaven forbid, Comic Sans. Wanna have a look?

The "rules" say to write down the following stuff, then take a picture & post it for y'all to see before tagging a few of you so that I can see what your scrawl looks like.

1. Name/Blog Name
2. Right Handed, Left Handed or Both
3. Favourite letters to write
4. Least favourite letters to write
5. Write: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
6. Write in caps: CRAB
HUMOR
KALEIDOSCOPE
PAJAMAS
GAZILLION
7. Favourite song lyrics
8. Tag 7 people
9. Any special note or drawing




As you probably can't read my bubbly, "cool" writing, the people I tagged are:

Aunt Juicebox @ Bacon Is My Lover
Bossy Betty @ BOSSY BETTY
Angela Noelle @ Striking Keys
Dual Mom @ We're At Dad's That Week
Adrienzgirl @ Think Tank Momma
Gun Diva @ Just Another Perfect Day
Adia Belle @ I'm Addicted

What's really sad is that even after that one measly page, my hand hurt. I definitely prefer typing.






Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

  1. I love your "bubbly, cool" writing. It's so expressive - just like you! Thanks for playing along!! (And your drawings most definitely do NOT suck.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting hand written notes too but I'm not so great at sending them so I don't get many in return....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have different writings too, but it's only mostly after my hand gets really tired. I love handwritten notes, I wish more people sent them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting snail mail. I make an attempt to get more by sending my friends snail mail packages from time to time. :)
    I like the flower doodle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gonna be fun! I too prefer typing over handwriting, but love handwritten notes.

    I'll get this up in a couple of days (I'm actually going to get paper and pen now, but I'm not sure I'll get it scheduled until Saturday).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot - great song lyrics. I love that song. And I noticed that humor was spelled wrong (for you) in the instructions, I giggled to see the added "u" in your handwritten note.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why am I not surprised that you have cool bubbly handwriting and can draw fun flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't draw, but The Kid makes great drawings to mail out! And I do like your writing.
    At a wedding shower last fall, I got so many compliments on my handwriting, but I think it's just kinda plain...
    And!!! I found my funny stationary, makes writing letters more fun. I'll get it out later and get on with the writing again.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!