Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blood & guts galore

Girl Spawn had to have dental surgery yesterday. She had hypoplasia on her back 4 molars and as it was severe, we were told they should come out. Rather than have them out at the dentist where they would have to inject her with freezy stuff, they chose the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital, as directed, at noon and got sent to sit in the waiting area/playroom. She was meant to be first in line at 1:30pm but as the afternoon wore on, it quickly became clear that something had been changed.

As Girl Spawn played, read books and practiced her cartwheels out in the courtyard, I tried my best not to throw up. The antiseptic smell was strong and I could almost taste it in the back of my throat. I've never liked the smell of a hospital and do my best to avoid them. Unfortunately, she needed this procedure and she wanted me with her.

I tried not to dwell on the fact that my 8 year old would soon be sent off to sleep with the help of a general anesthetic. I tried not to think too much about the risks involved in any procedure where a GA is used. I did my best to recall what everyone had been saying about how well THEIR children did in the same sorts of situations. I watched my daughter, skipping around the courtyard and singing the tune (almost) of her favourite Lady Antebellum song, as she just carried on with her day without a worry.

At 3:00pm they came to get us, got her into her gown and explained a little bit about what would happen. Then we sat there. And waited. Again.

By 3:45 I was frustrated, she was tired and bored and we were both ready to go home. This is also when they decided they were ready for us. We were taken into the pre-op area to wait for the anesthetist. While we waited, the nurses decided to make a spectacularly stupid (in my not so humble opinion) decision and wheel the first little girl out of the OR into recovery and put her directly across from us. This might not have been an issue except for the fact that the girl was screaming her frackin' head off because someone had neglected to call her mother before she woke up and she was now disoriented and scared. This situation scared the crap out of Girl Spawn and she started to cry and question whether it was going to be that way for her. Thankfully, it wasn't.

Surgery started at 4, I was called to recovery at 4:40 and I was able to be there as she woke up. Quietly. *breathe sigh of relief*

10 minutes later we were back in her room and, chipmunk mouth aside, she was doing ok. Then she needed to go to the bathroom. Cool. Done.

By the time she got back to her bed, she'd lost all colour from her face. The minute she leaned back, that was it. Her blood pressure dropped. Big time. Her eyes rolled back in her head, she was in and out and she was pale & cold.

Did you know what normal blood pressure is for an 8 year old?
Systolic = 112 to 118, Diastolic = 74 to 78

How about normal pulse rate for an 8 year old?
75 to 105 beats per minute, with the average being 90.

Girl Spawn dropped to a blood pressure of 82/53 and a pulse rate of 74. To say the nurses were concerned would be a bit of an understatement.

First moment of panic? CHECK!

As they worked to stabilize her BP, they informed that she was not allowed to go home until she'd had something to eat & drink....and kept it down. We'd already seen the first girl go home. She was even smiling! So, surely this would be easy. Right?

HA!

Her mouth wouldn't stop bleeding. It ran down her throat. It upset her stomach. She puked. 250mls of mostly blood with a bit of saliva. Awesome.

Blood pressure still down.

7pm, the third little girl gets to go home. Smiling.

Try again with the food & drink.

Nope.

Another 250 mls of mostly blood and some water. Fan-freakin-tastic.

Blood pressure still down. Nurses suggesting ice water & ice chips to help settle stomach. Girl Spawn looking awful. Me? Worried.

By 8:30pm she had thrown up a third time (another 250 mls), was still pale and the nurses FINALLY got a doc to prescribe anti-nausea meds. Her BP was finally coming up though!

It got better from there, she finally kept food & drink down and started to look human.

At 10:30pm, we were discharged. Ten and a half hours in the hospital was a bit much for us. She's sleeping peacefully now and tomorrow will bring more recovery adventures.

And me? I hope it will be a long, long time before I have to smell the inside of that hospital again.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

  1. Holy Crap...That sounds awful! Glad you finally made it home - but I would have been the crazy mom running around and grabbing doctors by the throat! FIX MY BABY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry Girl Spawn had to go through this. There is nothing worse than having to sit and wait.
    Hang in there Momma. I hope she has a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gawd, it's over!!! :) Hugs to you both... But I also gotta say that I'm like that with GA. It takes forever for me to come out of it and I get the low BP thing, but usually, my BP is very healthy. She will just have to tell her doc as she gets older that this is a fact.
    Here's to speedy healing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's awful! I'm so sorry that she had to go through that; there's no excuse for not giving her the anti-nausea meds after the first episode. She may have an allergy to GA - definitely keep this in mind if she needs to have another procedure so they can have the anti-nausea meds pumping through the IV in recovery. Sending you lots of virtual hugs and rapid recovery wishes for both of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy hoolies! That poor girl. :( I hope she's doing better today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you hate it when you're on the wrong end of the bell curve?
    Glad things finally came good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg! Poor thing, hope she has a quick recovery now. Hugs to you both xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an ordeal! And often it's worse to watch that kind of thing than go through it... Glad everything turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that it's over now and that she's keeping some food down. I hope she heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you guys had to deal with that. Hope the healing is fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear God! That poor baby! And poor you! There is NOTHING on earth scarier than seeing your child with something wrong. I hope she's feeling a whole lot better, and I hope you have been very gentle with yourself after all this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scary! My daughter had to go thru a series of surgeries between the ages of 12-14 and it was awful. It is so much harder, I think, on the parents than the kids. Glad your daughter is ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is terrible that you had to wait so long to have the surgery in the first place. Hope she is feeling good now!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor kid/poor mum! Hope you don't have to go through anything like that again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh! I would have been freaked out! So glad Girl Spawn is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank God for your happy, but very prolonged, ending! That is just terrible. May you both never have to undergo such an ordeal again.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!