Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sometimes you just need to close your eyes and dream of a beach

There are just some days when I seriously start to question my sanity. You know those days where it seems like you're going the wrong way against the traffic all freaking day? The days where if your children walk the wrong speed or your husband breathes too fast, the ones where if you have to talk to one more person you are going to silently be digging their eyes out with spoons...in your head of course.

Today was one of those.

7:15 am - Alarm rings. Hit snooze.

7:25 am - Rings again. Stupid machine. Hit snooze again.

7:35 am - Rings. Again. Shit! Now I'm late getting up. Stupid machine. It really needs to be more assertive.

"Kids! Get out of bed. Now."

"No. Now. Not in 10 minutes. Get. Up. NOW!!"

7:45 am - Contemplate a shower but decide that long pants will hide leg stubble, headband will disguise some of the oily (gag) hair, and honestly I don't smell. Much. Get dressed.

"Why aren't you dressed yet? Get dressed! GAH! Are you TRYING to upset me this morning?!"

Thankfully neither of them is dumb enough to answer in the affirmative.

8:00 am - Wonder why The Man is sitting on his arse in the living room instead of making sandwiches. Like he does every other morning. Or pouring their cereal. Like every other morning. Stomp around and make unhappy noises til he does it.

"Would you two PLEASE get yourselves READY?!?!"

8:30 am - Finally. Two kids ready, bags packed, shoes on and heading to the car. Now, where are my keys? You've got to be kidding me. *sigh*

8:45 am - Usher Boy Spawn into his classroom to offer his teacher a rather humble apology for his unusually appalling behaviour yesterday. Beat a hasty retreat before I start to feel worse because she was so disappointed in him as it is not like him. It must be a full moon. On Jupiter.

8:50 am - Head off to see a man about a penis. Can't get iPod to work in the car. Consider throwing a temper tantrum but realise there is not enough room to do this justice, so settle for a loud scream. It's winter. No one can hear me with the windows up. I think.

9:30 - 11 am - Build up my arm muscles maneuvering a 350 pound man around in a hoist & wheelchair. Get wet showering him because he thinks it's bloody hilarious to squirt me with the shower. Ass.

11 am - 12 pm - Visit home to change into some gym clothes and search out yet another pair of dry shoes. Ponder the value of keeping a pair of rubber boots and a raincoat in my car for work but realise it would be cheaper to just clean his false teeth with vinegar.

12:30 - 2:15 pm - Young Friend came with me to the gym. Treadmill tortured me. Rowing machine laughed at me and then made me play some stupid target game that I sucked at. Weights left me feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. Dripping in sweat by the time I was done, I needn't have bothered changing my clothes.

2:30 pm - Wet Day early pick up at school. Picked up spawnlets. Joked with Girl Spawn.

"If you've got an orange slip in your bag, you can just start walking home now. Forget getting in the car."

2:35 pm - Watched in horror as Girl Spawn dissolved into tears, spluttering that she didn't want to walk home and she was sorry but she had a RED slip (for REALLY bad behaviour) in her pocket. Apologized, listened to story and got upset.

Turns out, Girl Spawn (8 years old) was assigned work. Got up to sharpen pencil. Took forever doing that. Bell rang for lunch. Off she went. Substitute teacher found her after a while, asked if she'd finished her work, she said "yes" and then remembered that no, she actually hadn't. Sub decided Girl Spawn had been intentionally deceptive and handed her a red slip and 15 minute detention for tomorrow. Also, she didn't get her lunch. At all.

3:00 pm - Decided this punishment was bunk. At most deserved an orange slip for not finishing work on time. Red slips are for bullying, stealing, intentional deception....not forgetfulness on the part of an admittedly unfocused, slow working, procrastinator. Went in search of Principal.

3:10 pm - Had full on, and majorly embarrassing, meltdown in Principal's office. Big tears. Bigger sobs. Even bigger blush from the humiliation of crying over something so silly. Sue me, I cry when I get mad. And I was mad that it had happened. Slow and daydreamy she is, a liar she is not.

4:00 pm - 5:30 pm - Kids at swim lessons. I quietly read my book until an obnoxious Irish lady approached to tell me that I was sitting in her seat. Really? I'd been sitting there for 20 minutes. Seems she'd gone to help her son change and now she was back and wanted her seat. Fuck you lady. I just cried in the school Principal's office, I am not afraid to bitch you out at the pool. And I'm not moving.

6:00 pm - Home for a much needed shower. Headband is no longer even remotely disguising the oily (gag) hair. And now I do smell. Yum.

6:30 pm - Head off to see a man about an enema. For him. Times three. Not only do I NOT get sprayed with a shower, but I don't get shit on either. Bonus!! Things are looking up.


The rest of the evening went spectacularly. Took me three tries to start my car when I left Enema Guy's house. Almost ran over a cat in the grocery store parking lot though I can't for the life of me figure out where the cat would have come from. No houses nearby. Came home to find Boy Spawn asleep, Girl Spawn tired and grumpy, The Man tired and grumpy and STILL suffering from The Man Flu and the house looking like a bomb site because I haven't had time to do anything today.

So.

How was YOUR day?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

  1. LMAO sounds similar to my day in a way. Well at least the morning part does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm not going to complain about diapers now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo. You need a bubble bath and a massage and a three-day vacation from your kids and your life. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my day, but instead of getting an orange/red slip from "summer enrichment" school, #5 and #6 child (we got 7 all together) "new" teacher tried to put my kids into the WRONG CAR at pickup!! (Now picture a "good ol' southern girl, originally from Alabama yellin' and making wild hand gestures at the teacher!!!!) Apparentley, she's the only 1 person in this state to not know "my hooptie"!!! GGRRR!!! Admitedly, the WRONG CAR was much nicer than mine...and the mom was probably nicer than me too!!! Good for you that you went back and talked to the principal!! I've got our's on speed dial :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awful day! I hope tomorrow goes better for you. I hope you at least had a stiff drink after that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm....I think I like yours better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, Maggie, now I know! I love this! It is so awful (but funny too). You rock Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shit - I have now poured the most humungous glass of wine for you. A few days late, and it's 10.50am, but hey, sometimes you just need it.

    Oh.

    I wasn't meant to drink it for you, was I? Oops. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet bejeebers, woman, that's one of those days where you just want to scream "DO OVER!" Hope today (yesterday, tomorrow, whatever day it is for you) went MUCH better!! *smooches*

    ReplyDelete
  10. you know what? something has gone whack in the universe this last week... was shitty all around!
    i bit sara at her work for being cheeky (i blame PMS) and felt steam billow out of my ears whenever the kid was intentionally slow and difficult. i had a monday on a friday, where's the justice in THAT?!
    i feel better today. i got my cruset on thurs! i'll think chocolate thoughts for you, sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Better than yours. Next time, just don't set the alarm.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!