Monday, September 20, 2010

Yo! Wassup dawg?!

Hi everyone! I feel like I've been gone forever. I guess I kind of have. It wasn't a planned thing, it just sort of happened that way. It's like I lost all interest in most things internet. Sure I was checking Facebook occasionally to see what colour socks y'all were wearing or how much your neighbour had pissed you off that day and, of course, I was making sure to update my own much watched status so that no one could possibly miss the fact that instead of having spaghetti for dinner we were going to have fettucine. All that interesting stuff that none of us could possibly go a day without knowing. You know the drill.

I even dropped in on Twitter and LiveJournal once or twice. I'm not even sure why I still have a LJ account, to be honest.

The blog thing? I just wasn't feeling it. I knew there was stuff I wanted to talk about. I knew there was stuff I wanted to get off my chest. I even knew that there was a couple of things that I could potentially be funny about. Or they could go over like a lead balloon. The thing is, all that stuff was there.

I. Just. Didn't. Care.

You know why?

Because MONTHS ago, on a whim, I decided to throw myself into the fires of blogger hell and submit my name and blog to these charming folks over at Ask And Ye Shall Receive. See, the idea is that you submit your blog and eventually, when they get through their backlogs of people eagerly awaiting their own slaughter, they will get to you. One of their "experts" goes through your blog with a fine tooth comb laced with nasty and tells you everything you're doing right and EVERYTHING you're doing wrong.

It is beyond me why I even bothered. I guess somewhere in the back of my mind, at the time I put my name into the hat, I was holding onto this dream that they might actually like me. In the months after I sent them my link, I forgot about them. And then? Then they popped up on my Analytics as a new link and I was curious. So curious, that I followed the link and .....

.... found this.

*pause for dramatic effect*

Yeah.

It hurt. It stung. It made me angry and sad and incredibly frustrated all at the same time. Because a big part of me.....knew they were RIGHT!

I HAD started doing a lot of those meme things instead of writing what was in my heart. I had started taking the easy way out and being lazy instead of saying what I wanted to say.

It pissed me off that they were right about so many things. I even responded....and deleted that.

I went through my own archives and deleted a bunch of posts. As far as these people were concerned, I shouldn't be doing this. And so, I didn't.

I lost interest after that.

But then I was sitting here the other night and thinking to myself.....who the HELL do these people think they are? Yes. I was lazy and took the easy way out. Yes. There was a lot of those posts and very few posts that I could look back on and say I was proud of. Yes. But there were a lot of posts I was VERY proud of, and still am, and they didn't even look at them.

These people sit there and pass judgment on the rest of the bloggers and yet we have NO idea who they are, no access to their own blogs to see if they're all hot shit or not and yet we're expected to sit back and take the praise and criticisms as they see fit?

Screw that.

I asked, I received. Fair enough. They didn't like my stuff? Fair enough. But the fact that I let it get to me that much drives me crazy. Screw them!!

This is my blog, I'll write about what I want, when I want, why I want and HOW I want....and if anyone doesn't like it, they don't have to come back.

I hope that after my long absence there is still a few of you here. And I hope you'll stick around, because I'm here to stay!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

  1. Oh dear, Maggie. /cringe

    Had it been me, I would have thought about this instead of falling asleep for a few nights...

    ...then someone would shake me and say, "Insults are that site's currency" - and I would slowly accept that's what is served.

    Many of us would be shredded by "their kind." Good on you for staying the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about submitting my site to them...and then I soberted up. Be true to yourself and we'll keep coming back. That's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Maggie- ouch! That hurt and it wasn't even me.

    I think this is why I never ask anyone if this makes my ass look big. I have a big butt. I know I have a big butt. Everything makes my ass look big.

    Somethings you just don't want to know. On the plus side- even if everything single thing this person said was true. Who cares? Obviously your readers don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're back. Screw them. And who are 'them' anyway, never heard of this site? So they just pull apart your blog for kicks? What exactly qualifies them for this work aside the ability to be sarcastic? There are no rules in blogging, do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cap'n said it well. I didn't even justify it with a click-through. It's like telling you that your opinion is wrong. Um? Really? DO a meme if you FEEL it, not just to hold the space...we'l always be there for when ya got sump'n ta say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch. My retort to criticism about my blog is, "They can't all be gems." If I didn't give myself permission to post crap, I probably wouldn't post ANYTHING. (Uh, not saying that you post crap, BTW.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far as I can see, your only mistake was submitting yourself to the misery police. Keep writing whatever you want. They suck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ackk! Why would you even do that to yourself? Does he like ANYONE'S blog? I mean, that's the whole point, right? He's going to tear you apart. And he did.

    I'm glad you're still around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie, I read you because I like what you post. They can go do anatomically impossible things to themselves, I'm glad you came to the realization that their opinion doesn't matter.

    The comments were classic "I have no opinion of my own, so I'll take the so-called 'experts' opinion".

    So here's the deal - I miss you when you're not around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't need to ask for a review because my commenters just leave me angry comments all on their own. (Like today for instance!) But oh well ... we get to be who we are and write what we want in our little space. If people don't like it, they don't need to read it. Personally, I'm thrilled to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What the fuck is up with that review? What a bitch....I just got so boiled up inside for you.
    And I love your blog and you that I'll always be here. You are funny, sarcastic and goddamn poignant. it all depends on your mood and I am willing to ride them with you. It's your blog and your space and you be true to that...screw them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does anyone else get the sense that these reviewer chicks have never really left high school?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maggie, I read your blog and think you are great! Come on Honey. Don't let these folks get you down. I have never even heard of them in the first place! Screw them. And they cannot be legit if they just tear people down. You so did not deserve that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They were nasty purely for the sake of being nasty. Don't let them get to you - this is YOUR space - write what you want, when you want, how you want. I'll be here to read it, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG. What a bunch of ass hats! Keep in mind, your blog is your treehouse. You can do.whatever.the.efff.you want. Your property. Your turf. Tell poop stories..oh wait, that's me. Anywhoo I don't need anyone's approval to blog. I is what I is. PLEASE Don't give up because some jerkoff with a hairy palm critised you. You rock. You rule. Your humor is GOLD. Roll with it my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im not even gonna go read what they said. Poo on them. I dont care what the hell they think!

    I get lazy and do some meme's too. Then I annoy myself cause I do too many! lol

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!