Monday, October 4, 2010

With a little help from my friends

**Don't forget to enter to win one of TWO copies of the "Operation Beautiful" book. Open WORLDWIDE! Go HERE to enter!**

Day 1 -- Day 2

*****

Hm. Day 3 of "30 Days of Me" asks me to show you a picture of me and my friends. Here you go.

Picture from nydailynews.com

Obviously I'm the one in the blue bikini.

Honestly it's hard to find a picture of me with any of my friends. For one very good reason - I don't like being in front of a camera. So, I went trolling the pictures of me that various people have posted on Facebook and found this one:


I am the one in the top right corner with the long blond hair, the bottle in my hand and a serious lean going on. I'm pretty sure this was taken on my friend Kelly's 16th birthday. In her basement. We spent a lot of time in basements in those days. Kelly would tell you that that was because we shouldn't have been allowed out in public looking the way we did.

Seriously, what was up with the fashion back then??

Kelly is the one in the bottom left of the picture. The red head propping up the other girl (who, for some reason, I don't remember). In the back with me is Shoned on the left and Nikki C in the middle.

When I moved to Germany in 1993, I didn't know anyone. By the time I been at school for a short time, those 3 were my closest friends. They saw me through a boyfriend or two, the rumour mill at school, the loss of my virginity, the breakup from my first real boyfriend and major love of my teen years, and many a fight with my mother.

We used to get on our bikes on some summer weekends and head into a nearby town to have a treat at the ice cream parlour. HUGE ice creams, with booze on them!

There were gates on the air base where we lived and my mother had a rule that I was not allowed past them, into the area where the single guys were barracked. The four of us ignored that rule time and again and by the time the summer rolled around when I was 16, we were friends with many a single guy. I have a vague memory of me and Shoned almost getting caught at a party in one of the barrack blocks but that might have been our trampy friend, Vicki. The girl wore so much make up that she must have needed a trowel to put it on.

After that summer, I went off to boarding school in England and made new friends. I knew that those three were still back in Germany and I saw them once at a careers fair that both our schools attended and couldn't bring myself to say anything. It's only in retrospect that I realize what a snob I had turned into. We lost touch....until a year or so ago when I found them all on Facebook, the magical tool of reconnection.

Y'all know my story. Kelly is in the army, married to an army guy. Shoned is a vet nurse and with a long term boyfriend. Nikki has a confusing sounding job that I've never really gotten the title for and updated her status with wittiness from time to time. We've all got far different lives than I ever thought we would, but as far as I can tell we're happy.

Those three were some of the best friends I ever had, and possibly the most important ones I had growing up. After all....when you're a teenager, it's your friends that get you through right?

So there you have it. Me....and my friends.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

  1. Ca you say Breakfast Club....but with beer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook has been amazing for meeting up with old friends, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) i really enjoyed this post.

    friends are so important, i've been thinking about this alot lately as i am moving across the contry in less than 3 months.

    your childhood sounds pretty fun, i've lived in ny my whole life, it must be really exciting to have lived in a few different countries

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that blue bikini suits her anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all look drunk and happy. Fantastic.

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Were you at Ramstein AFB by any chance? I think as a teen all you really have is your friends. Parents just don't understand! Friends do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture looked frightenly familiar, in a blurry kind of way. And how does your friend Sookhi manage to stand up?

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!