Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pride goeth before a fall

Day 1 -- Day 2 -- Day 3 -- Day 4 -- Day 5 -- Day 6 -- Day 7 -- Day 8

**********

It's been too long. Things got busy around here. You know, just when I think I don't have a life, it totally comes and gets in the way.

Anyhoozle, my poor time management skills aside, I thought it was about time that I finally got around to continuing this whole "30 Days of Me" thing that I've been working on for over a month now. Sad really that this is only the 9th entry for that.

So, for Day 9 I am meant to tell you something that I'm proud of in the last few days.

Oh come back, don't worry! I'm not going to beat that old dead horse by the name of "Ishallnotscreamatmyspawn". Mostly because that's not going so well. That MAY have something to do with my (potentially genetic) low patience disorder, or it may have something to do with the fact that they've both been absolute shits lately. Either way, we won't be talking about that today because I'm not done thrashing that deceased equine yet.

What am I proud of then? Well. Turns out I am astonishingly good at setting boundaries in my life.......when I have enough people tell me to do that.

I seem to have rather a habit of taking on too much. To some of the people who know me, this might sound like absolute bullhooey but I assure you, it's true. When people need a volunteer, I am powerless to stop my hands from flinging themselves up in the air, my bat-wings doing their own little dance, to say "pick me! pick ME!". This is how I first ended up being the Secretary and then the President of the PTA at the last school the spawn attended. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but it quickly grew from chairing a monthly meeting, to organizing fundraisers, to staffing those fundraisers, to .....well you get the picture. And it was the same 12 people always doing everything. I was lucky to have an amazing best friend, Ginger Rug, helping me out and keeping me relatively sane.

At the same time that I was doing the PTA thing, I was also working nights at the No Tell Motel and looking after a little boy during the day.

To say I was overstretched would be an understatement. When we moved to NZ, I made myself a promise that I wouldn't repeat the same thing. And I haven't. Sort of.

I work as a Community Support Worker. I do care of the elderly & disabled. I go into their homes and help them. Lately I have found myself picking up more hours, which is nice. What wasn't nice is that I was working 7 days a week. 7 evenings a week. Granted, some of those days I only did 3 hours work, but still. I had volunteered to work every evening when one of the girls went off sick. I thought it would be a short term thing. Three months later, I was still at it and I'd had enough.

I hadn't been home to put the kids to bed in months.

I hadn't had a coherent, adult conversation with Hotty Hubby (he has objected to being called The Man) in ages.

I was tired and grumpy and sick to death of going out for an hour or two every night. It was rarely worth the gas to go in my car.

Hotty Hubby was sick of it. And he made that known.

Finally, my new friend (squeee...I have friends here now!) Dino gave me the prod I needed and I headed into the office. I laid it all out on the table, I told them what I wanted and told them what would happen if I didn't get it and thankfully no one called my bluff.

And now? I work 2 nights during the week for an hour and both nights on the weekends for two hours.

The kids ...... happy.

The husband ..... happy.

The friend ..... proud.

Me? ..... ecstatic. And proud.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. "(potentially genetic) low patience disorder"...damn. I have the same thing. Sister? I also have the I gottavolunteerforeverythingsyndrome too. I call myself The Serial Project Gal. Is there a 12 step program for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I hate not being able to tuck the kids in at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you held up for yourself! Just do it, Honey! Don't get caught up in sacrificing your whole life when you didn't take the vows to do so!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love people.....you know you want to!